Monday, February 01, 2010

Weekly dose of trance*

Last week was just as good as it was planned to be. Had the perfect pace, attitude and recovery during the week. But then came the weekend.

By Friday morning my nose was running and my head wasn't as good as it should've been. But during the morning run everything cleared up. During the day it went back to worse again.
On Saturday unbelievable amount of snow fell down. This made me question the state of the running path for the Sunday long run. One good thing came out of this though: the clear air and the shoveling of the incredible piles of snow got rid of my cold once again. It was "only" bad when I was inside doing nothing.

So came Sunday. I decided to go and see what the conditions are. Temp: -4, no additional snow since Saturday. So far so good. Getting there was no fun as the roads were only partially cleared so had some trouble getting out of our village. The rest was easy.

Got there, change from warm coat to running coat, attached the gadgets and went down to the running path. It was clear! Excellent news. It took 3-5 mins for my nose to clear out. I did not feel the cold luckily, I was happy about my selection of layers.
Usually under these conditions only runners are on this path. Otherwise it would have been filled with families, dog walkers and bikers. This time of year is only for us. Met single runners, waved at each other. Then these two dudes came towards me. They looked out of context with their not-runner-like dresses and body movements. yet, to my biggest surprise they ran 3 laps while I was doing my two! The second time we met, I thought that these are other people. They must be unless they ran across the lake. But they weren't joking. We met four times in total! I was totally amazed.
I went on the my final 3 km of the total 15 after my last sighting of the two wonders.

Overall it went well. Slower than two weeks ago but there was no snow before and I wasn't weakened by the cold I have now either. Not excuses though, I did good to my standards.

Sum: 15 km in 1 hour 26 mins, easy pace.

*after Armin Van Buuren