Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Cycles

The current training plan is built around 2 week hard work (basically every second day) and a week of easy exercise. I just finished the hard part and started the easy runs today. This was the first, knowingly two week period. January started with basic what-can-i-still-do type of orientation that formed into the current actions.

The conclusion is: hard. Even though I felt very strong by the end of second week, with very surprising result in my bag, by Sunday I did feel the result of the seven workouts (none of them anywhere easy) in my legs. OK, the snow and the ice on the last 15 km long run did not help either. It was very difficult to avoid falling and breaking my arm or worse. But enormous strain on my back and on my brain as I was concentrating hard.

But due to all the effort I did get to know my boundaries better. I know now, that running 8x400 fast is not going to kill me. I know, that running 15 km can be very relaxing if done right. I know, that I can run faster and longer than I imagined.

So I am trying to figure out the next two hard weeks' plan. I do know, that I will run a half marathon distance (if weather permits) on the last run. I also start doing hill repeats as the first race in April will have quite some in it. And I would definitely improve my top speed as well.

It will be a fun two weeks. But first, off to recover and overcompensate...